Danseys/Dorseys/Elkhorn Station

In 1859, the Leavenworth & Pike’s Peak Express Company utilized this station and identified it as O’Fallon’s Bluffs, and therefore it is logical that its successor, the Central Overland California and Pike’s Peak Express Company, also used the station for the Pony Express. O’Fallon’s Bluff Station was probably located about two miles south and four miles west of Sutherland. Situated just west of the bluffs named for Indian agent Benjamin O’Fallon, the station appeared in the 1861 Overland Mail Company contract as “Dansey’s.” This name, a corruption of “Dorsey” or “D’Orsay,” who may have been the station keeper. Besides O’Fallons Bluffs and Dansey’s, sources give the station a variety of other names, including Half Way or Halfway House, and Elkhorn. This Pony Express marker is located three miles east of US Highway 25 on Sutherland Cemetery Road, then 3/4 miles south on S. Seifer Road.